Cloud solution for continuous applications delivery with automatic vertical and horizontal scalability, orchestration and management of containers, on top of bare metal hardware
Palo Alto, Calif. (PRWEB) December 03, 2014 – Jelastic, Inc., the first company that combined unlimited PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service) and IaaS (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) into one solution, has announced integration with Docker using Parallels Cloud Server. The collaboration will allow service providers to enable continuous application delivery, fully elastic scalability and integrated orchestration and management for hosting applications in the cloud. This is the first industry solution that combines Docker’s application delivery approach and Parallels containers, fully managed via Jelastic PaaS.
Docker, Jelastic and Parallels Cloud Server are complementary to each other. Docker addresses application assembly, delivery and portability; Jelastic provides orchestration and management for hosting applications in the cloud; and Parallels Cloud Server offers container and storage infrastructure performance and availability.
“Docker is the best application format delivery ever! The Docker team has shifted the containers conversation in the marketplace to help bring a renewed focus on containers virtualization technology and how it can be utilized with a new application delivery format. By leveraging containers technology from the beginning, we’re confident our long-term strategy in the PaaS layer is solid,” said Ruslan Synytsky, CEO of Jelastic.
“We believe the evolution of Docker is not finished yet and requires more attention on the virtualization layer to finally deliver the promised high density, together with an advanced level of security and live migration of containers on top of bare metal hardware. It’s obvious that hosting of Docker templates inside a VM is not efficient enough and can be improved to deliver the original promise of containers virtualization. Moreover, this point becomes dramatically important if you think about economy, TCO, performance, licensing and management complexity of private cloud and cloud-in-a-box solutions designed for DevOps. So we are very pleased to announce the first industry solution that contains an extremely useful application delivery approach from Docker and the most mature containers, virtualization technology from Parallels,” concluded Synytsky.
Docker standard in Jelastic allows the companies to reach a wider market of public and private cloud customers who require more automation, security, optimization of resources consumption and flexibility, while setting and managing their applications, clusters and services.
“Containers have been a well known technology to hosting service providers since 2001. They are used by thousands of hosting service providers around the world for hosting millions of end users’ applications in a very cost-effective way. Jelastic is pioneering a cloud platform which uses Parallels Virtuozzo Containers to deliver services. The combination of the Docker deployment and highly secure containers virtualization from Parallels allows Jelastic to provide the most cost effective platform for hosting both public and private clouds.,” said James Bottomley, chief technology officer, Virtualization, Parallels. “Our work with Jelastic means that Docker users can now run their containers securely and at high density within Parallels Cloud Server.”
Increasing Functionality for Service Providers
With the integration of Docker standard across the Jelastic platform, users will now have more flexibility and options while installing any stack, application or system.
Customers will also get the added benefits of Parallels Cloud Server and Jelastic PaaS. Features include the following:
- Live migration of Dockers: Cloud service providers will be able to migrate Dockers from one physical server to the other with zero downtime, increasing operational efficiency.
- Granular division of physical servers into containers with Docker but not into VMs: As a result, a user is not restricted with limited resources of the virtual machine, but can scale the application throughout the whole server.
- High density and maximum utilization of server resources: This results in the best return-on-investment for the customer.
- Full isolation and security of containers: Each Docker gets complete privacy and becomes unavailable for other users due to the full isolation of RAM, CPU, IO, filesystem and network for each container.
- Smart distribution of Docker from one environment evenly on different physical servers: This eliminates any risk of application downtime if one of the physical servers has any issues with performance and provides high availability of users’ applications.
- Optimal use of resources with the help of hibernation: Non-active Dockers can be hibernated automatically and do not consume resources (only disc space), the released resources are returned back to the cluster.
- Automation and resource management: Automatic vertical scaling ensures that Docker will get the required resources in time and will not face any performance degradation. For public cloud users this approach significantly saves money as they pay only for what they use, instead of trying to use what they pay for.
- Full orchestration: With Jelastic, you get all necessary services and tools for managing your Dockers (creating clustered solutions, setting load balancing, etc.) out-of-the-box right from the admin panels (for developers and cluster admins).
Jelastic, with the support of Docker standard, will provide developers with a joint platform that lets them easily host and manage all types of applications or services, within a wide choice of datacenters around the world. Docker’s lightweight, simplicity, portability and appeal to developers will become a positive addition for Jelastic’s flexibility and technology superiority on the cloud market.
“Everybody talks about Docker, the hyped application format delivery,” said Timo Mankartz, CEO of dogado GmbH. “Docker is the first technology that makes it possible to standardize application containers. For Jelastic, Docker offers enormous potential when it comes to our 0-Vendor-Lock-In concept in Jelastic. With Docker, we allow it to package and migrate applications along with their dependencies between all Docker compatible providers.”
Jelastic and Parallels will be exhibiting this week at DockerCon on December 4 – 5 at the Nemo Science Center in Amsterdam at booth number 11.
Jelastic, Inc. is the first company that combined unlimited PaaS ease of use (developers productivity) and the IaaS flexibility (agility) within a single platform. Jelastic is a venture-backed enterprise software company that enables hosting service providers, systems integrators, enterprises and OEMs to unleash the full potential of the cloud to generate superior ROI and efficiencies. Investors in Jelastic are Runa Capital, Almaz Capital and Maxfield Capital.