This article will provide a step-by-step guide on how to configure DNS A Record that will point your custom domain to a particular environment hosted at Jelastic PaaS. The custom domain is really important for production environments as it allows promoting your unique branding and improves your web application recognition over the Internet.
Before diving in, let's deal with some basic concepts for better understanding:
- Domain is the name you specify within a browser to access a website. The part of the name to the far right (for example .com or .org) is known as the top-level domain (TLD), and the part before it - the second-level domain (SLD). A subdomain is an optional part placed in front of the SLD and separated with a period. See the image below for example.
- Root Domain is a combination of the second- and top-level domain names without the subdomain. Each website has a unique root domain that is included in all its pages and subdomains.
- DNS is a system that converts textual domain names into numerical IP addresses, which are needed to locate and identify web services. For example, when you type www.mydomain.com into the browser address bar, it looks for the actual IP address of the server that hosts this page, e.g. 184.108.40.206. Herewith, if you type https://220.127.116.11/, you will arrive at the exact same site.
Let's begin now!
Adding a public IP to your Jelastic PaaS environment is a simple and straightforward task.
1. Open the topology wizard, either with the New Environment button at the top of the dashboard or by clicking the Change Environment Topology button next to the existing environment.
2. Choose the required instance and add Public IPv4/IPv6. If needed, adjust any other options and Create/Apply.
Wait a minute for the changes to be applied.
3. You can view the exact IP value directly in the dashboard by expanding the appropriate node as it is shown in the image below:
Domain Name and A Record Settings
The exact steps vary based on your particular domain registrar. As an example, we use GoDaddy.
1. Log into your account or sign up for a new one. Expand the Sign In option at the top and click the same-named button.
2. Switch to your account management page by clicking the Visit My Account button.
3. In case you don't have any domains yet, click the Get one now link.
Follow the provided steps to select and purchase a domain.
4. Once you have your own domain, the flow is simple:
Click Manage DNS next to the required custom domain..
5. At the bottom of the Records section, click the Add button.
6. Within the shown Add Zone Record frame, select the required A Record option from the Type drop-down list.
7. Complete the record addition by providing the necessary data.
In our case, for the A Record:
- Host - enter hostname the A Record is linked to (just type @ to point to the current domain name)
- Points to - specify the external IP address of your environment entry point (see the first section of the guide)
- TTL - select for how long the DNS server should keep your A Record information cached (i.e. the delay before new settings for it will be applied in case of their further change)
And that's it! Now, your custom domain points to your Jelastic environment via DNS A Record.