I believe everybody has heard about Minecraft. It is amazing game and I really like that there are virtually infinite possibilities of different worlds. A virtual world where you play with legos and build whatever you want became a real hit. It is a game about placing blocks to build and craft any constructions you can imagine out of textured cubes in a 3D world. So far 7,955,941 people bought this game. BTW, Minecraft has received many awards, including five awards taken home from the 2011 Game Developers Conference. It took the Innovation Award, Best Downloadable Game Award, and the Best Debut Game Award from the Game Developers Choice Awards and the Audience Award as well as the Seumas McNally Grand Prize from the Independent Games Festival. As of October 2012, the game has sold over seven million copies on PC and over eleven million copies across all platforms.
Today we'll show you how to launch this great game in the Jelastic cloud on your own VPS to play with your friends or other gamers.
So, let's get started!
Create the environment
1. Go to jelastic.com and sign up if you haven't done it yet or log in with your Jelastic credentials by clicking the Sign In link on the page.
2. Click Create environment to set up a new environment in Jelastic.
3. Click on the VPS button and specify the cloudlets limit. Type the name of environment, for example, playminecraft, and click Create.
In a minute your environment will be created and appears in the environments list.
Establish SHH connection as it is described here.
Install Java to VPS
1. Go to VPS node as root using the established SSH connection. Enter the following commands:
2. To check the installation enter the command:
Upload Java Package
1. Navigate to Minecraft.net, register and buy the game.
2. When you have bought the game, you can download the stand-alone launcher for Minecraft (as a .jar file) and the desktop client (Minecraft.zip).
2. Now you need to upload .jar file of your stand-alone launcher to VPS. For uploading you can use WinSCP (for Windows).
3. Connect to your VPS using credentials which you've got while creating environment.
4. Now you can simply drag the .jar file and drop it on remote file panel. By default transfer settings dialog will appear. Just press Copy and uploading will proceed. Once it finishes, you will see uploaded file in remote file panel.
Configure application in VPS
1. Go to VPS node as root using the established SSH connection.
2. Open the folder with the .jar file you've just uploaded. For that, use the next commands:
- cd/ (to open root directory)
- ls (to see the structure with all the folders and files)
3. In the opened folder, enter the following command:
4. In order to enable your server to accept external connections, you need to open the corresponding port at your VPS instance (namely - 25565). Thus, run the following string to add the appropriate firewall rule:
1. Unpack Minecraft.zip and place .minecraft folder in Users/Your_user_name /AppData / Roaming directory (Win 7) or in Documents and Settings/Admin /Application Data (Win XP).
2. Launch Minecraft.exe and log in with your Minecraft credentials.
3. Select Multiplayer game.
4. Click on Add server and enter your VPS IP address.
5. Pick out your server and click on Join Server.
6. Now you can start to play! Enjoy!
6. Also you can add your server to Minecraft list of servers to attract other gamers.
Try our service and share your experience in comments below. Also please let us know what other games you would like to play in the cloud. We are waiting for your feedback. Stay tuned!