Jelastic is a Platform-as-a-Service that ensures easy cloud infrastructure, containers and application management. Lite Edition of this PaaS is available for automatic installation on top of DigitalOcean infrastructure as a dedicated private cloud. The deployment of Jelastic private platform can be performed from DigitalOcean Marketplace.
The licensing depends on the type and number of Droplets connected to Jelastic PaaS LE. The recommended infrastructure requirements for initial setup of the cluster are 100 GB disk space, 8 GB RAM, and 4 CPU cores. However, based on the needs, there can be selected droplets of various capacities:
- 4 GB RAM (minimum requirement) - suitable for initial testing
- 8 GB RAM - appropriate for small projects
- 16GB+ RAM - recommended for production and large size development environments
The server size can be chosen during the installation steps using a convenient DigitalOcean wizard. And the number of droplets can be easily increased via intuitive Jelastic admin panel or using simple command lines even when the platform is already up and running.
In order to install dedicated Jelastic PaaS Lite Edition on DigitalOcean, follow the next steps:
1. Open Jelastic PaaS installation page in DigitalOcean Marketplace and press Create Jelastic PaaS Droplet. Log in using your DigitalOcean credentials (or sign up if required).
2. Pick a tariff plan. In this guide, we’ll use Standard that includes a virtual machine with 8GB RAM, 4 CPUs, and 160 GB SSD.
3. Choose a preferred datacenter region.
4. Choose SSH keys as authentication method and add your public SSH key to the droplet by pressing New SSH Key button.
The instruction on how to create a key pair is provided in the right column.
5. Choose a hostname for VM and press the Create Droplet button (if required, enable backups).
6. Wait until the droplet is created.
7. Copy the droplet’s IP address to the clipboard and connect to the created VM via SSH under the root user.
8. Once you’ve logged in, follow text instructions and type “yes” to start Jelastic installation. Open in browser the provided installation URL to continue.
9. Fill in the form with System User Email and the preferred Domain name for the platform. Click the INSTALL button to proceed to the final step of Jelastic PaaS installation.
10. You can track the installation process with SHOW DETAILS button or get familiar with the latest Jelastic publications and updates.
11. Once the installation is finished the credentials appear in the successful installation window, as well as sent to System User Email.
12. With the provided credentials, you may go directly to the DEV PANEL and create the first environment. Follow the dashboard guide for more details.
Or navigate to OPS PANEL (Jelastic Cluster Admin Panel) to manage your Jelastic PaaS. Use JCA guide to get acquainted with the main available functionality.
Both panels provides a full access to a wide range of features, among them:
- Management of multiple Droplets and regions within a single admin panel
- Superb developer web portal for easy environment provisioning, scaling and updates
- Automatic vertical and horizontal scaling according to the applications load
- Automated clustering and replication for application servers and databases
- Quotas and access policies assignment to different user groups for secure and productive team collaboration
- Integration with Git, SVN & Continuous Integration services
- More than 50 pre-configured certified containers for Java, PHP, Node.js, Ruby, Python, Go environments with out-of-box upgrades
- Platform customization and whitelabeling
- Auto-scalable clusters of WordPress, Magento, MySQL/MariaDB and other advanced packages available for one-click installation from built-in Marketplace
- Auto-scalable Kubernetes clusters and Docker containers support
- Open API, CLI and SSH access for deeper containers management
- Built-in metering, monitoring and troubleshooting tools
This turnkey solution includes a wide set of tools and functionality required by the IT departments for management of cloud-native and legacy applications. ISVs can use the platform to move from traditional software licensing approach to as-a-service model. Also, it is a ready to go PaaS engine for launching own cloud services in a specific niche. Digital agencies will benefit from the automation of scaling, clustering and integrated CI/CD tools in order to provide their customers with fast updates and decrease internal efforts on maintenance. E-commerce projects get pre-configured clustered packages to achieve high availability and scaling on demand during load peaks with no need for complex manual configurations.
PaaS is designed for companies of different types to easily develop, scale and manage projects in the cloud. Get the installation of the Jelastic PaaS on DigitalOcean.