Integration with NetBeans IDE
Like millions of developers out there we really love NetBeans IDE, which lets you quickly and easily develop Java desktop, mobile, and web applications, while also providing great tools for PHP developers. That’s why we have created a Jelastic plugin for this platform. With the new Jelastic plugin for NetBeans IDE, you can work with your development, test and production deployments without leaving your favorite IDE. This special plugin makes development of web applications on the Jelastic platform much more convenient, since the developer can now log into Jelastic and deploy the app in the cloud right from NetBeans IDE. The Jelastic plugin is a set of software development tools that simplifies the process of application management and development in NetBeans IDE in the form of projects at the Jelastic platform.
The Jelastic plug-in for NetBeans IDE provides you with the following useful functions:
- Deploy NetBeans IDE projects to Jelastic,
- Access and manage server log files,
- Ability to manage (start, stop, and so on) user environments,
- Possibility to work with the application contexts and much more.
Use the following instructions to install the plugin and manage Jelastic environments through NetBeans IDE.
1. Run the latest version of NetBeans IDE (Java EE or All bundle) and navigate to Tools > Plugins menu item.
2. Open Available plugins tab and enter jelastic in the Search field.
3. Jelastic Plugin will appear in the list. Choose it and click Install button.
4. Start the installation by clicking Next button in the appeared window.
5. On the next step tick “I accept the the terms in all of the license agreements” and click Install.
7. Installation is successfully completed. Click Finish button to close the installation window. Now you have the Jelastic plugin in your NetBeans IDE.
Adding Jelastic Cloud in NetBeans IDE
1. Navigate to the Window>Services menu item.
2. Right-click on the Cloud menu to add a new cloud.
3. Choose Jelastic in the list of cloud providers.
4. In the opened window specify New name (name of your cloud, for example, myjelastic), choose Provider (you hoster’s domain) from the drop-down list, and fill in the Login and Password fields with your Jelastic credentials.
5. If you expand the Cloud list, you will see your cloud with the name you have specified.
Note: if you want to delete your cloud, you’ll be able to do this only after adding your project. You can see how to do this below.
Working with existing Jelastic environments via NetBeans IDE
Now you can easily manage your environments through the Services tab. To do this, expand the Cloud list and choose the desired environment.
1. To stop the environment right-click on it and choose Stop environment.
2. If you want to run a stopped environment, right-click on it and choose Start environment.
Work with log files
1. You can easily manage and download log files. Just expand log folder of the needed node, double click or right-click on the desired log and choose Get log item.
2. The log file will be automatically opened.
3. If you want to save the log file, choose the File>Save As menu item.
Working with the application contexts
1. Right-click on the context in the environment to open your application in the browser.
2. Using this menu you can delete the chosen context.
Creating and deploying a web project via NetBeans IDE
You can create your own project in NetBeans IDE and deploy it right to the Jelastic environment.
Create a new project
1. Click New Project button in the upper tool panel of the NetBeans IDE.
2. Choose the Java Web category and Web Application project. Click Next.
3. In the opened window, enter the desired Project Name, specify the Project Location and Project Folder.
4. Select one of your environments in the Server drop-down list. Specify the context, if it is needed, and check Enable Contexts and Dependency Injection line to enable it.
5. In the last window of “New Web Application” wizard check the necessary frameworks (if you need any).
6. Your new web project is successfully created.
Deploy your project
1. Right-click the name of your project on the left-hand panel and choose Deploy menu item.
2. After that a .war archive of your project will be built and sent to the Jelastic cloud.
3. To make sure everything works:
- enter the URL of your application in the browser
- or navigate to Services tab > Cloud list. Right-click on the context of your environment and choose Open App in browser
As a result your application will be opened.
You can delete your cloud only if you have already added your project:
1. Navigate to Tools>Cloud Providers.
2. Choose the cloud and click Remove Cloud button.
That’s all for today!
Our plugin for NetBeans IDE significantly facilitates development and deployment of your projects on this platform as you can manage your deployments and hosting environments without switching between the IDE and the browser.
Enjoy with all the advantages of Jelastic and NetBeans IDE integration!