Meet TomEE in the Cloud!
Woohoo! We are the first public PaaS which offers Apache TomEE, one of the fastest and the most user-friendly enterprise-ready application servers available.
TomEE has long been among the top requests that we have been getting from our community. TomEE is a natural fit for any cloud platform that offers Tomcat, as it offers Java EE compliance, but with the footprint and startup time of Tomcat. And since we pre-announced our intention to include TomEE in Jelastic late last year, the feedback we have been getting was overwhelmingly positive. It is lightweight yet powerful, which makes it a perfect choice for cloud hosting.
“Jelastic’s support of Tomcat has always been top-notch, and their support of TomEE shows real vision,” says David Blevins, founder of the TomEE project. “TomEE joins the family of Tomcat, Glassfish, Jetty, Apache and NGINX already offered by Jelastic. But they aren’t just combining the usual suspects into a platform that is identical to all other cloud platforms – they have put a significant amount of time into offering TomEE users the best experience possible. It’s very tightly integrated with the functionality of all the other layers of their stack including load-balancing, replication, persistence to SQL or NoSQL databases and more. Jelastic’s integration of TomEE is the best I’ve seen.”
Apache TomEE is full-blown application server that combines several enterprise projects including Apache OpenEJB, Apache OpenWebBeans, Apache OpenJPA, Apache MyFaces and more. Put briefly, Tomcat + Java EE = TomEE. There’s a definite “less is more” philosophy in Apache TomEE. That’s important because it’s easy for developers of app servers to go too far. The result is usually a slow-starting, memory-hogging beast. Unlike other JEE application servers, TomEE avoids architecture overhead and stays lightweight and as simple as possible. With Jelastic, it takes just one click to get an automatically scaled cloud based on TomEE.
So, with TomEE, you get:
- An enterprise-ready application server that nonetheless remains simple
- A lightweight server – developers can run applications without any additional runtime requirements or startup time even when the applications are large
- Full compatibility with most Tomcat-aware and Tomcat-tested tools
- An environment that will be completely familiar for Tomcat users, with no need to learn anything new
- Embedded OpenEJB, which makes it great for testing EJBs
- The ability for servlets to get access to JPA and Transactions
- The ability to view or modify any Tomcat-provided resource files
With Jelastic, getting an automatically scaled cloud based on TomEE is very easy. Let’s consider a short example on how to deploy simple HelloWorld EJB app.
*Note: TomEE is available in Jelastic beginning from version 1.9.
Create the environment
1. Go to jelastic.com and sign up if you haven’t done it yet or log in with your Jelastic credentials by clicking the Sign In link on the page.
2. Click Create environment to set up a new environment in Jelastic.
3. In the Environment topology window, select TomEE as your application server, set the Cloudlets limit (e.g. 16), type your environment name, for example, ejbtest, and click Create.
In a minute your environment will be created and will appear in the environments list.
Upload Java package
1. Upload your EAR archive to the Deployment manager.
You can download our sample application for testing here.
2. Deploy your archive to the environment you have created earlier.
That’s all you have to do! Now you can open your application in a web browser and enjoy!
We’ll continue to publish more interesting and helpful scenarios with TomEE usage. So, stay tuned to our blog for even more exciting stuff!
As you see we always consider our customers’ opinion and try to satisfy all their needs. Thanks to our users we are getting better!
So, don’t hesitate to tell us what you need from Jelastic and vote for other’s ideas here.