2018 was an active year for Jelastic team and community. Lots of achievements make us proud this year: new partners, boastfully solved challenges, product releases, awards, and events. So we’d like to sum up the main points and share them with those who inspire us to move on - our customers, partners, advisors, and everyone involved.
Worldwide Availability and New Partners
Jelastic Multi-Cloud PaaS keeps spreading among service providers, ISVs and developers.
- 69 data centres with Jelastic PaaS installed as public cloud
- 59 data centres in 26 countries available in production
- 12 cloud hosting providers offer multiple regions within single panel
This year we announced 8 new partnerships with cloud service providers, as well as launched new hybrid and multi-cloud projects, adding extra spots of our presence on the world map.
Powered Up Multi-Cloud Platform
From the start of 2018, Jelastic team developed and publicly launched 2 major and 18 minor product releases that contain important features, improvements and bug fixes. Here are the favorite features of this year:
- Automatic Clustering
- Two-Factor Authentication
- Firewall Management System
- Environment Network Isolation
- Stateful and Stateless Horizontal Scaling
- Personal Access Tokens
- Webhooks for Build and Deploy Operations
- Go Language Support
- Built-In Web SSH Console
Let us know what features you’d like to see in the roadmap for the upcoming year.
This year customers showed a big interest in clustered solutions. So we paid special attention to the development of this direction to make the required clustered stacks and applications available in an easy automated way. Currently, the following clusters can be installed just in one click or activated right from the topology wizard:
- MySQL (Master-Slave, Master-Master, Single and Multi Group Replication)
- MariaDB (Master-Slave, Master-Master, Galera)
- Kubernetes (beta release)
In order to ease the installation and configuration of the software for the clients, ISVs are actively transforming their products to the SaaS model and we are ready to help in this direction by simplifying and automating the processes. So stayed tuned for more clustered solutions and use cases in the next year.
Listed by Forrester as Major Public Cloud Platform
Forrester (Dave Bartoletti and John R. Rymer) published its overview of 17 Public Cloud Development Platforms currently presented at the market. The core purpose is to present dynamically changing vendors landscape and simplify the platform choice for companies worldwide.
In this overview Forrester listed Jelastic along with AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud as a full-stack cloud platform provider. It is mentioned that such type of platforms gives developers deep control over their application architectures, offers runtimes for projects written in various languages, DevOps toolchains, Containers-as-a-Service (CaaS), database and analytics services, and many more.
Duke’s Choice Award Winners
Jelastic became a winner of the Duke’s Choice Award 2018 that was announced at Oracle Code One conference in San Francisco.
The primary judging criterion for this prestigious award is Java innovation and Jelastic proved its sustainability in this direction already twice. In 2012, Jelastic won its first Duke’s Choice Technology Leader Award and that was a great breakthrough for the company. And this year the platform provider showed that the technology became even more mature.
OpenJDK Patch for Increased Java Elasticity
To solve the problem of releasing unused but committed Heap memory and make Java RAM usage in containers more efficient, Jelastic initiated and sponsored development of a patch to OpenJDK which improves elasticity and enables fully automated vertical scaling of Java applications that rely on G1 garbage collector. This work introduces new command line options for heap sizing that allows the JVM to scale its memory resources vertically. In particular, the proposed solution is to promptly return unused committed memory to the operating system.
The offered solution is already implemented in the OpenJDK 12. This improvement will allow Java users to save a significant amount of resources and thus money, as well as help cloud providers to better utilize their infrastructure and introduce more flexible billing model based on real usage not on the VM limits.
Find out more details in the related:
Use Cases and Whitepapers
A set of published use cases help to make the right cloud choice based on the problems the customers are facing and the possible solutions we offer:
- SaaS-Enablement via Multi-Cloud PaaS for Jahia Solutions: Simplified Digitalization and Global Footprint
- Tips to Handle Huge Traffic Peaks from swiss.blackfriday and Hidora
- High-Performing PHP Cloud Hosting for Digital Agencies: Darkpony Use Case on Scaleforce
- Advanced Java Hosting Features Without Extra Cost: Matching China Use Case
- Scalable Cloud for Blockchain Startups: Tokenestate.io Use Case
- 50% Reduction in Build Times of Drupal Project. Blazingly Fast Digitalist Use Case
- Less Maintenance and Cost, More Automation and Scaling: Cargopooling Shift to PaaS
- PaaS Beat Dedicated Servers Cutting Hosting Bill by 90%: Shiply Use Case
- PaaS Scalability for Hosting Costs Reduction: Maggioli Use Case
In addition, we created a number of whitepapers with general product overview and case studies:
- Jelastic Multi-Cloud Overview
- swiss.blackfriday Case Study
- Tokenestate.io Case Study
- Shiply Case Study
- Cargopooling Case Study
If you're our customer or partner and want to share your case with our subscribers, feel free to get in touch via email@example.com and discuss the details.
Jelastic team is working hard on spreading the word about cloud technologies and hosting business, so that is always pleasant to see our materials published on external media:
- Forbes: Deceptive Cloud Efficiency: Do You Really Pay As You Use?
- Forbes: How To Overcome The Challenges Of Gaining Multi-Cloud Interoperability
- DZone’s Guide: Cloud. Serverless, Functions, and Multi-Cloud
- DZone: Multi-Cloud Interoperable Cloud Services
- InfoWorld: Shift your Java applications into containers with Jelastic PaaS
- CRN: The 20 Coolest Cloud Platform Vendors Of The 2018 Cloud 100
- Eclipse: Out-of-Box GlassFish & Payara Clustering
- Acronis: Gain Multi-Cloud Interoperability Overcoming Challenges
- HostingAdvice: A Cloud PaaS That Makes Automated Management, Fast Deployment, and Easy Scaling a Reality for Developers
- Insights Success: A Comprehensive Cloud Services Platform
- Medium: Jelastic Overview by Customer
- Top 10 Website Hosting: Jelastic Overview
Also, this year we published more than 80 articles at Jelastic blog, and the most popular are rounded up below.
Language- and stack-specific hosting:
- Java Cloud Hosting: Elasticity and Flexibility in a Turnkey PaaS
- PHP Cloud Hosting with Jelastic PaaS: Code, Deliver, Optimize
- Node.js Hosting from Jelastic PaaS
- Golang Hosting from Jelastic PaaS
- Tomcat Server Cloud Hosting with Jelastic PaaS
Clustered solutions and microservices:
- MariaDB/MySQL Auto-Сlustering
- MySQL Single-Primary and Multi-Primary Group Replication
- MariaDB Galera Cluster Replication
- Auto-Scalable Magento Cluster for Hosting E-Commerce Projects
- Out-of-Box GlassFish & Payara Clustering
- WildFly Managed Domain in Containers: Automatic Micro Clustering and Scaling
- Building Microservices with Spring Boot Fat (Uber) Jar
- Build and Deploy Vert.x Fat or Thin Microservice Application
- Stateful and Stateless Horizontal Scaling for Cloud Environments
- Two-Factor Authentication for Extra Security in the Cloud
- DNS Hostnames for Direct Connection to Containers at Jelastic PaaS
- Free Let’s Encrypt SSL Certificates Out-of-Box Integration
- Rolling Container Updates with Custom Data in Jelastic PaaS
- Multiple Domain Names on a Single Apache Tomcat Server
- Establish Secure SSL Connection to PostgreSQL Database Server
- SSH Access to Container: Manage Your Server Remotely
- Container Firewall Rules Management
- Deploy Confluence Server to the Cloud with Jelastic PaaS
- Minio Cluster: S3 Compatible Object Storage with Jelastic PaaS
- Django CMS Installation to the Cloud
- Easy Setup of Ghost Publishing Platform with Node.js Hosting
- Mezzanine CMS: Python-Based Hosting with Jelastic PaaS
- Deploy Wagtail Python-Based CMS into Jelastic PaaS
- Deploy and Run Go Git Service in the Cloud
- Deploying Services to Docker Swarm Cluster
- NetBeans Plugin for Managing Jelastic PaaS Environments from IDE
- Eclipse Plugin for Managing Jelastic PaaS Environments from IDE
High-level overviews on cloud hosting and container topics:
- Multi-Cloud Interoperability != Cloud Services Aggregation
- Shift Your Java Applications to Containers with Jelastic PaaS
- Elastic JVM with Automatic Vertical Memory Scaling
- Deceptive Cloud Efficiency: Do You Really Pay as You Use?
- Managed aPaaS for New Revenue Channels in Hosting Business
Extended Video Library
The list of video materials grew with new overviews, how-tos and interviews, let’s remind the newcomers:
- WordPress Cluster Installation
- Dev UI Overview
- JCA Overview
- Hidden Truth about Containers. Interview with Ruslan Synytsky
- Deceptive Hospitality of Cloud Vendors
- Automatic Vertical Scaling in OpenJDK
- Cost Efficiency in the Cloud: Myth or Reality
- Interview with Developers Advocate Bruno Souza
- How to Reach Developers as Customers. Tips from Bruno Souza
- How to Make Money Solving 5 Major Problems of Cloud Hosting Customers
- Managed aPaaS for New Revenue Channels
A full video library can be found at Jelastic YouTube channel.
Let’s Make 2019 Prospective!
We're grateful for your trust and cooperation. This year was an amazing journey full of activities and significant innovations.
Jelastic Team wishes you all the best for the next year! Celebrate the wonder and the joy of the festive season, and make 2019 full of new plans and endeavors.
Thank you for being with us! Let’s make upcoming year the greatest together!