Communication is one of the main keys to successful business growth. This is the reason why instant messaging software has become an integral part of every company nowadays. There are solutions for business needs or for corporate use, such as Rocket.Chat, Slack, Hangouts, Flock, as well as messengers for everyday communication, such as Skype, WhatsApp, Telegram and others.
Among the listed applications, only Rocket.Chat is an open-source solution. It can be run as a self-hosted on-premise or cloud-based. Here is a set of features that attract companies and individuals to use this instant messaging software:
- Unlimited users, channels and messages
- Free audio and video conferencing, guest access, screen sharing and file sharing
- A secure workspace with username restriction and additional controls for admins
- Complete access to the source code for customization or extension with new functionality
- Real-time chat widgets for providing high quality customer service
- Instant translation of message to over 50 languages
- Available as web, desktop and mobile applications
- Integration with various applications: Jitsi, Jira, GitHub, Google Calendar, LDAP, etc.
- Wide community support
In this blog post, we describe how easy it is to install Rocket.Chat server with Jelastic PaaS, set up custom domain, secure the application with SSL certificate and start using the messenger for your team collaboration.
If required change the Environment name and destination Region.
Upon successful installation, the environment topology comprises prebuilt Docker containers of Rocket.Chat application and NoSQL database MongoDB. The application is ready to use just press Open in Browser button.
For production mode, the installation will require a custom domain and traffic encryption with valid SSL certificate.
Custom Domain and Trusted SSL Certificate
The next step is to bind a custom domain and terminate SSL certificate on load balancer as it is required by Rocket.Chat official documentation.
1. First of all, add a load balancer in front of the created environment. To do this, press the Change Environment Topology.
Choose the load balancer node e.g. NGINX by clicking on Docker Image > NGINX > [tag you prefer].
2. Then attach a Public IP address to the load balancer node as it is required by Let’s Encrypt Free SSL Add-On.
3. Create A record for your custom domain at your registrar using the attached public IP address.
For our example, we have created A record for domain: rocketchat.jele.website.
4. Finally, we can bind the custom domain and generate a trusted Let’s Encrypt Free SSL certificate with a help of respective Jelastic PaaS add-on. Click on the load balancer’s Add-Ons button.
5. Choose Let’s Encrypt Free SSL Add-On and press Install.
6. Fill in the External Domain field with your custom domain name (e.g. rocketchat.jele.website) and proceed to the add-on installation. The trusted SSL certificate will be automatically generated and installed on the load balancer node.
When the certificate is installed, your connection to the server becomes secure and you can access it using your custom domain name via https protocol (e.g. https://rocketchat.jele.website).
Now you can proceed to the Rocket.Chat configuration and customization.
1. Enter the basic Admin Info. It is recommended to enable notifications via Show notifications dialogue if any.
2. Provide general information regarding your company.
3. Define chat Server Info: Site Name, Language and Server Type.
5. Click on the Go to your workspace button which leads to the custom domain via encrypted connection e.g. https://rocketchat.jele.website.
6. Open the Administration panel of your workspace for adding users and other configurations.
7. For mobile access, use the same Rocket.Chat custom domain URL.
As a result, you will have all required settings and actions available for further application usage.
Congratulations! your Rocket.Chat server is deployed to the сloud and ready to connect your team members, customers and partners. Try it out at the preferable Jelastic Cloud Provider!