How to Deploy phpBB into Jelastic PHP Cloud
phpBB is a free flat-forum bulletin board software solution that can be used to stay in touch with a group of people or can power your entire website. With an extensive database of user-created modifications and styles database containing hundreds of style and image packages to customize your board, you can create a very unique forum in minutes.
Millions of people use phpBB on a daily basis, making it the most widely used open source bulletin board system in the world. Whether you want to stay in touch with a small group of friends or are looking to set up a large multi-category board for a corporate website, phpBB has the features you need built-in.
Newer users will appreciate phpBB’s extensive administration panel, which allows the customization of even the most intricate features without having to edit code directly while advanced users will value the ease with which phpBB can be integrated into existing systems.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on deploying phpBB to Jelastic cloud. All you need is just to come through these simple steps:
Create an environment
1. Log in to Jelastic Manager.
2. Click Create environment at the top left corner of the dashboard:
3. Pick Apache application server, PHP v5.3 and MySQL database.
In a minute your environment with both Apache and MySQL will be created and appears in the environment list.
Upload the application
1. Go to the official phpBB web-site, download the latest phpBB version as a .zip package by clicking Download Latest (.zip) button.
2. Upload it using Deployment manager.
3. Once the package is in Jelastic, deploy it to the environment you have just created.
1. Once the deployment is finished, click Open in browser button for MySQL node.
2. When you created the environment, Jelastic sent you an email with credentials to the database. Create an account and the database with the application using these credentials.
1. Click the Open in browser button for your environment.
2. In the opened window navigate to Install tab.
3. The process of installation is rather simple, but let’s pay more attention to the Database Configuration step. Fill in the required fields in the following way:
- choose MySQL Database Type
- state Database server hostname or DSN: (insert the link to your database without “http:// ” and “/”)
- type Database name (which you’ve entered while creating database)
- type Database username (your database user)
- type Database password (which you’ve specified when created the database user)
- click Proceed to next step button
4. If all is done right, you’ll get the next message:
5. Configure the administrator (choose the language, admin username, password and email address).
6. The configuration file will generate automatically.
7. The settings on the next page are only necessary to set if you know that you require something different from the default. If you are unsure, just proceed to the next page, as these settings can be altered from the Administration Control Panel later.
8. The database tables will be created automatically.
That’s all! You have successfully installed phpBB!
Now you can easily use phpBB in Jelastic PHP Cloud. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to tell your friends about phpBB on Jelastic:) As you can see it is very easy way to get it up and running in the cloud. Just give it a try!
If you have other methods of doing this I’d love to hear them.