The Jelastic Cloud is designed to ensure a real freedom of choice for developers: no proprietary APIs, no necessity to adjust applications’ code before hosting, a wide variety of stacks and features available. The same approach applies to the selection of a particular hosting provider - you are free to sign up at any platform amongst the dozens of available ones throughout the world. But what if your initial decision has proved wrong? Or the newly appeared provider’s hardware is placed closer to your target clients’ location, which ensures a faster response time? Maybe you would like to participate in a beneficial campaign, held at another Jelastic installation? Summing these up, what if you are bound to a hosting provider because of your running production environments and wouldn’t like to get into messy manual redeployment and reconfiguring your apps somewhere else? Now you have a solution! Keeping following the chosen course of the Cloud Platform with-no-constraints, Jelastic presents an awesome new Environment Export and Import feature, delivered within the recently released Jelastic 3.1 version.
This feature is intended to exempt you from any remained lock-in by allowing to easily migrate the hosted applications between the available Jelastic installations in order to choose the most suitable one according to your preferences - for example, due to the platform versions differentiation, pricing systems’ distinctions or variations of provided stacks and possibilities.
So, if you actually decide to change your current Jelastic provider, for now you just need to export your environments and import them to the preferred platform. This will only take a few minutes to be completed and, as a result, you’ll receive the identical same-named and ready-to-work environments.
And below you’ll find out how to move your hosted applications to a different Jelastic installation in a few easy steps. Let’s get started!
First of all, you need to create a portable copy of the desired environment, i.e. export it. During this operation, all the information about this environment (i.e. its topology settings, deployed applications, links to the archives with configurations and private data it contains, etc) is packed into a single .json file. This file can be simply downloaded to your local computer for being further imported to a new account (the details on this are presented in the next article section).
1. Log in to your Jelastic account and choose the environment you would like to export. Then select the Settings button for it.
2. In the opened Settings tab navigate to the Export section and click on the same-named Export button inside.
3. The Environment Export dialog will appear.
In the case the identical environment copy is not needed for the further work, you can choose which data should be exported here. Tick the appropriate options for that:
- Topology Settings - environment configurations you’ve set through the Environment topology wizard (this point is obligatory and enabled by default)
- Private Data - files in directories of your deployed application(s) and private data stored within your database server(s)
- Configuration Files - all files accessible via Configuration Manager at your dashboard and settings of the deployed GIT/SVN projects (e.g. repositories links, access credentials, attached private SSH keys)
Once the required for export data is defined, click the Export button to proceed.
4. Once the export is successfully finished, you’ll see a new clickable string (named due to the export time/date) appeared in the Exported Environment Copies list for downloading a file with the environment data. Click it to get the compiled .json file with a name according to your environment’s hostname to your local machine.
In addition, you’ll receive an appropriate email notification with the direct link to the list of your exported environments.
Great! You have successfully exported your environment copy. Now you can proceed to its importing to the target platform in order to complete the migration.
So, you’ve got the locally stored .json file with the details on your exported environment. Let’s see how it can be imported for an automatic creation of a new environment with the same configurations and content at the different Jelastic installation.
1. Expand the New environment list at the top left of your dashboard and choose the Import option it contains.
2. Find and open the previously exported file through the popped up Open file window.
After that, you’ll see the Confirm installation window appeared with a corresponding environment information like its name, source platform and date of export. Here you can also specify a new name for it within the appropriate field (or leave the default, old one).
Click Install to continue.
3. Wait until the environment is created, deployed and configured.
4. Once the import is completed, you’ll be shown the appropriate information window.
Here you can Open your new environment in browser to check the result, or Close this window to reconfigure your environment and application according to the new platform’s settings first (e.g. host names, IP addresses etc).
That’s all! You’ve just successfully migrated your environment to a different Jelastic installation. Also check your email inbox for additional information about the imported environment and new administrator credentials for the nodes it contains.
Unleash the power of the most user-friendly Cloud Platform that does not put any limitations on you, your work, or the way you want to do it - try Jelastic for yourself with our 2-week free trial!